Wednesday 18 January 2017

REMEMBERING YALEM MEKETA MEKONNEN




Two years have gone by since I started life without my Yalem, my world - my wife, my friend, my sister and my mum's replacement. No single day has gone by without me remembering her. 

Once a month, I go to Kensal Green Cemetery, London, just to be by her grave, clearing the area, cleaning the memorial stone.


At the end of October 2016, I travelled to Jerusalem, just to get her Christian Name, Hamelmale  Dingil (ሐመልማለ ድንግል),  mentioned at the Monastery of Debre Genet  Kidane Mihiret (ደብረ ገነት ኪዳነምሕረት), during liturgy. I got more than I bargained for. The Hermits and monks were very kind enough to pray for her soul during the annual “Mahilete Tsige” (ማኅሌተ ጽጌ)፣ the whole night prayers, praying for her soul to rest in peace, and again during liturgy in the morning she was mentioned on several occasions.



On Sunday, 15 January 2017, Yalem was remembered during liturgy in London Debretsion St Mary Ethiopia Orthodox Church, praying for her soul. Friends of Yalem, Hirut Mesfin and Co, prepared a delicious meal, Ethiopia loafs of bread and soft drinks and served the congregation at church yard. Some friends went to her grave and placed fresh flowers.

In the afternoon, friends of Yalem came together at Zeret Restaurant in Camberwell, London and officially launched “YALEM friends support group ‘IDIR’, a traditional mutual support association.

Yalem touched so many people's lives in her short life in this world. Particularly, she left a big hole in my life. No matter what I do, I know for sure nothing would bring her back to me. However, I make sure her memory lives with me as long as I live.

10 comments:

  1. Wow brother I did not know your loss. Very sorry for not being with you in the saddest moment of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my kind friend. I know you would, brother Tedla

      Delete
  2. Let her soul rest in peace. Be strong my brother, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am very strongm, thank you again. I was just celebrating the lufe we shared together, remembering Yalemissha on thus day.

      Delete
  3. God bless you Wondimu for doing this for our world, Yalem's 2nd year memorial anversery. Let God rest her soul in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Abiyou. I could not have pulled through without my best friends' support. You all stood by me and helped me so much these two years. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YALEM was the heart and soul of our community. We always miss You. R.I.P !! Stay strong brother Wondimu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Gizachew. You know what! My heart jumps with joy, when I come across such words about my Yalemisha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Condolences!Very SAD;Never knew that you lost your other half.Zufan used to tell me that you were married to her and she had an ailing heartache or so but it never came to me that it could be that serious.Though Zufan used to be worried about her everytime she raises your name and defintely for no reason.I understand that it is incredibly damaging,soul breaking and crippling for you but let GOD be with you.It has a signal for all of us to be caring for each other;I will continue looking for you in the rest of the times.Let us get in touch base and we will check what we can do together in the rest of our lives.You should be busy with your job and the life in the Cambridge but I will look out for you and also tonight I'll tell Zufan about your loss.Let us continue meeting on this track.Abebe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Abebe, my dearest brother.

    ReplyDelete