Friday 17 January 2020

Yalem Meketa Mekonnen


Yalem Meketa Mekonnen
5 year Memorial anniversary


Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies 
(Proverb 31:10).

Hard to be believe that it has been five years today, 17 January 2020 (ጥር 8 ቀን 2012 – a day difference in the calendar because of Leap Year), since Yalem Meketa (Yalem)  left this world, to join her creator, but her memory remains here among the living family members and friends. Yalem is unforgettable! Her kindness, care, humour and laughter remain always remembered.

No one misses Yalem like I do. She was my best friend, confidant, loyal, tower of support and dependable and loving wife.  She made me a better man. For a stranger who met us both for the first time together, we have always been mistaken for brother and sister and she had unforgettable jokes about that. We were inseparable until death did us apart. I have moved on, because that was what she wanted for me to do, but the void still remains unavoidable.
When I was happy, Yalem celebrated my success more than I did. Can you believe if I tell you she went to Buckingham with me when I had an interview for the position of lectureship? She was chatting with the receptionist all the time I was being  interviewed. It was so simple for her to make friends, instantly. On our way back to London, she said: "You are going to get this job"! I remember how she jumped up and down with joy like a child, when her prediction became true. 

When I was down, Yalem never doubted me that I would bounce back to form in no time. She believed in me more than I believed in myself. This was evident when I was made redundant from JSA Accounting Services and was looking for a job for one year. Yalem encouraged me and lifted me up, she stood by me and supported me and helped me to get back on my feet. When I made silly mistakes, she would just laugh as if a child faltered, but never rushed to criticise me. She was the cleverest girl I know.  She showed me the right way with loving care and corrected me gently. When I got confused, I always depended on her superior feminine instinct to sort me out. I owe Yalem so much. She is probably praying for me in heaven right now, that is why I am blessed to get another leash of life. This is not to mourn her death but to celebrate her life.

There will be prayers on Saturday 18 January 2020 in remembrance of Yalem, at London Saint Mary of Debretsion Orthodox Tewahedo Church in the morning.


Among Yalem’s families and friends, her memory lives on, positively affecting everyone.  No one would forget her. Her friends are bound by her legacy.  She lived for others more than for herself. Therefore, they carry on her task of caring for one another in a more organised way. “Yalem Friends Mutual Support Association” will be coming together on Sunday 19 January 2020 to hear reports about works done over the last year and plan for the future reaching out to support those in need.

Rest in peace, Yalem!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment